Re: [GIT PULL] Native Linux KVM tool for 3.1

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Mon Jul 25 2011 - 07:41:37 EST

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 01:34:25PM +0200, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> You need someone with taste in the loop. But if you do, "evolved" is
> always better than "designed before you actually know what you need".
>
> As I'm sure you perfectly know, for the matter.

Neither is actually helpful. You reall want reference implementation
on both sides of an ABI, _and_ documentation. And yes, usually you'll
need a few iterations over it. In theory you can do that in a "tightly
integrated" enviroment as well, but practice shows simply boilds down
to commiting the bloody thing.

I'm also not sure why we even bother to focus with this side-line
discussion. It's not like the kvm (as in the kernel kvm module)
developers have written the kvm tools. It's just another userspace for
the kvm userspace (the fifth if I count correctly), and so far the
reference and often only implementation of any new kvm module feature
is for qemu-kvm. So no matter where kvm tools lives, if you guys one
day actually start doing major kvm core features it will still evolve
discussing them with the main consumer of those interfaces.