Re: Linux 3.0 STILL dies on USB device hotplug - please merge fixASAP

From: James Bottomley
Date: Fri Jul 22 2011 - 15:52:41 EST

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 19:02 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 3.0 still oopses and dies immediately on USB device hot unplug.
> The same problem also triggered with SAS device according to Dan.
>
> There was a lot of debugging on this a few weeks back and Alan Stern
> posted a SCSI layer patch that fixed the problem (for both USB
> and SAS):
>
> http://68.183.106.108/lists/linux-usb/msg49001.html
>
> But for some reason that patch didn't make it into 3.0 and 3.0 still
> happily oopses as the RC*s.
>
> Can you please merge this patch ASAP? This should also go to stable.
>
> At least for me it makes pure 3.0 very risky to use, because these USB
> hotunplug events are not uncommon and I end up with a dead machine.

Like I said at the time, the patch is wrong because of the relocation of
the queue teardown. I posted a corrected version, but did anyone test?
Anyway, I merged it on the grounds that it worked for me, but if you
could confirm with linux-next, that would be great (I'll send the pull
request shortly, since it now needs to go via the merge window and I'm
currently in mid journey to Russia.

James