Re: Regression in handling of unsafe UBI shutdown

From: Daniel Mack
Date: Wed Jul 20 2011 - 08:50:53 EST

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 11:18 +0200, Daniel Mack wrote:

>> So, let me re-phrase my question: is anyone aware of changes in the
>> UBIFS code between 2.6.36 and 3.0 that might cause trouble to U-Boot's
>> UBI code from 2009?
>
> I guess that would be an on-flash format change? I am not aware of such
> changes, and if there were such - this is a big issue which we wound
> need to fix.

Yes. And more tests show that we appearantly also have a more severe
problem here. Some devices that have been power-cut during operation
even refuse to create a new UBI from Linux on the NAND after they're
toast (we use this procedure as a debricking option for customers).
The only thing that helps in such cases is erasing the NAND from
U-Boot. After that, the UBI creation works again. Any more ideas on
how to debug this would be appreciated.

Daniel