Re: [patch] perf_events: even more wrong events for AMD fam10h

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Mon Jun 27 2011 - 07:28:17 EST

On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 17:07 -0400, Vince Weaver wrote:
> Here are two more problems I found with the superlative "generalized"
> events on AMD fam10h.
>
> The "l1-dcache-loads" event measures loads *and* stores.
> This might be as close as you can get on AMD, but it's still wrong
> as it's not what Intel measures.
> My patch removes it. Better might be to add a proper
> "l1-dcache-access" event.

The question to ask is, does it still have a strong correlation?

> The "l1-dcache-load-miss" event is an invalid event. (0x141).
> From what I can tell that event (DATA_CACHE_MISSES) does not
> take a mask. It should be 0x41. And it's actually measuring
> all misses, not just load misses, see above.

See commit 83112e688f5f05dea1e63787db9a6c16b2887a1d. Also same as above.

> The "l1-dcache-stores" event does not work. See the
> ./validation/l1-dcache-stores test found in
> http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~vweaver1/projects/perf-events/validation.html
> So remove it until we figure out why.

Robert?

> Also, is the value for "no such event" 0 or -1? The perf_event_amd.c
> file seems to use them interchangably from what I can tell.

val = hw_cache_event_ids[cache_type][cache_op][cache_result];

if (val == 0)
return -ENOENT;

if (val == -1)
return -EINVAL;

But yeah, somewhat inconsistent. Robert, Andre, could you guys go over
the AMD events some time?