Shutdown hang on Thinkpad T510 - Disabling IRQ #??

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Sun May 29 2011 - 14:54:16 EST

Hi everyone

I've got a strange hang happening on shutdown sometimes on my Thinkpad
T510 (Type 4384-GJG , BIOS version: 1.43 , ECP version: 1.19). 4GB RAM
installed, CPU is a core i5 560M, graphics is the build-in Intel HD
graphics, no discrete graphics card, 7200RPM 320GB HD.

Most of the time it shuts down perfectly, but once in a while it will hang
after Arch Linux outputting it's "POWER OFF" message. When this happens it
will always output one or more lines of "Disabling IRQ #??" where the "??"
part is a IRQ number that varies, but 9, 17 and 19 are the most common
ones.

One interresting observation is that the system comes preconfigured with
all PCI IRQ's set to 11 in the BIOS and with this setting I get the
shutdown hang in roughly one every 5-6 shutdowns. If I go into the BIOS
and then change all the PCI IRQ assignments to AUTO then I still get the
hang, but it is much less frequent - I'd guesstimate once every 20
shutdowns.

A (very bad) photo I managed to take of this the last time it happened, in
case it's any help, is available here:
http://personal.chaosbits.net/shutdown-hang.jpg
(the last line of ^@^@^@ is just me trying various keys to get it to
shutdown - including sysrq - but all it responds to is the powerbutton).

The kernel I was running at the time was 2.6.38.6 but it has happened with
older kernels as well - it's been happening since I got the machine which
was around 2.6.37.0 time.

At this point I'm not quite sure what to try in order to get rid of it, so
advice on that is more than welcome.

If there is any information I can provide that would help in tracking this
down, please just let me know and I'll provide it if I can.

--
Jesper Juhl <jj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.chaosbits.net/
Don't top-post http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html