Re: How to use gma500 framebuffer driver?

From: Alan Cox
Date: Fri Mar 11 2011 - 14:34:41 EST

> 0e83f46d3869a5255a04b875bb885bd141a609ef, from Feb 26 - the last
> commit on drivers/staging/gma500, and now I can build successfully,
> but have not succeeded in producing video output.

Currently it works on the Dell mini 10 and some other panels, but I know
it's not yet working on quite a few other setups.

> I guess I'll start by saying what I'm trying to do, to make sure I'm
> not misguided in trying this in the first place. I want to run Xfbdev
> and drive both an LVDS and HDMI display at the same time (mirrored).
> I don't need 2d or 3d acceleration. I don't see an indication that
> anyone else has tried mirrored displays with this driver, and I don't
> mind being the first, but should it work in theory? If it's not
> supported, would it be difficult to add?

It's on the todo list, as is non mirrored dual display.

> So here are my questions for those who have used the staging driver:
> * Should I be compiling it as a module, or as part of the kernel?

Either - it's probably best tested as a module for the moment

> * If I'm compiling it as a module, is there some sort of incantation
> to make the framebuffer device show up when I insert the module?

That would be the default behaviour providing it manages to set up the
port. If it doesn't it will stay in text mode

> Currently, when I insmod psb_gfx.ko, nothing appears in /proc/fb, or
> in /dev. I'm using udev. If I do "mknod /dev/fb0 c 29 0", then both
> fbset and Xfbdev give me "no such device" errors.

What shows up in "dmesg" ?

Alan