Re: System lockup with 2.6.38-rc4+

From: Ben Gamari
Date: Mon Feb 14 2011 - 13:09:49 EST

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 17:31:29 +0000, Chris Clayton <chris2553@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not subscribed, so please cc me on any reply.
>
> I've just had a complete system lock up with a kernel that I pulled, built and
> installed yesterday morning. IT was locked hard and I had to power off and on
> to get it back.

It looks like the GPU barfed. If you SSH'd in to the machine you'd find
that everything but the display and resources held by the hung X server
would be fine. Were you doing anything particular in your X session when
this happened? There's a good chance this isn't actually a kernel bug
but instead is a DRI client doing something dumb.

Cheers,

- Ben

P.S. The bzipped kernel image generally won't help in diagnosing the
problem. The most important thing to include in a bug report is the
kernel version and the dmesg output from the failure if available. Folks
will ask later if more is necessary.