RE: clearcache (Was: Re: [git pull] vfs pile 1)

From: Dan Magenheimer
Date: Thu Jan 13 2011 - 11:11:10 EST

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 03:55:47 -0500 Christoph Hellwig
> <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > How did cleancache end up in linux-next again?
>
> Um, I asked after the last merge window (on November 17, cc'ing you, Al
> and Linus) and the only reply I got was from Dan saying that he was
> hoping to work more on it with some chance of being ready for 2.6.38
>
> So, let me ask again:
>
> "I didn't really follow the discussion at Kernel Summit, but there
> seemed
> to be some question as to whether the cleancache stuff will be merged
> or
> not. It missed 2.6.37 (obviously), but my question now is do I keep in
> in linux-next in the hope that it will be merged in 2.6.38? Or is that
> not going to happen?"
>
> (The cleancache tree has not changed since October 9 last year.)

Hi Stephen --

Today or tomorrow, I will post a fully-functional in-kernel non-virtualization
user for cleancache (and frontswap), called kztmem, which is proposed
initially as a staging driver. It will be up to Linus, Andrew, and
GregKH to determine if this is acceptable and a sufficient second user
of cleancache. Assuming it is, because of the dependency (staging driver
dependent on as-yet-unmerged core kernel functionality), I'm not clear
yet if/how cleancache should go through linux-next. (Linus's last
email on the topic indicated he thought cleancache should go through Andrew.)

So please stay tuned for the next episode in this continuing drama. ;-)

Thanks,
Dan