Re: APM_CONFIG on x86 - Is it possible?

From: Randy Dunlap
Date: Fri Dec 31 2010 - 13:34:01 EST

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 19:38:58 +0200 Yotam Medini wrote:

> Hello,
>
> To an ancient target (my UMAX 530T ActionBook - plz don't laugh...)
> I am trying to build a lean kernel based on 2.6.32.24 (~ Ubuntu 10.04).
> Battery monitoring used to be based on /proc/apm.
> I believe ACPI is not supported on this old notebook.
> Now, it seems that CONFIG_APM_POWER cannot be set, since:
>
> 1. The configuration place for APM_POWER is in:
> ./drivers/power/Kconfig:25:
> config APM_POWER
> tristate "APM emulation for class batteries"
> depends on APM_EMULATION
>
> 2. The configuration place for APM_EMULATION is in:
> ./kernel/power/Kconfig:201:
> config APM_EMULATION
> tristate "Advanced Power Management Emulation"
> depends on PM && SYS_SUPPORTS_APM_EMULATION
>
> 3. But the configuration places for the latter -
> SYS_SUPPORTS_APM_EMULATION
> - exists only in:
> ./arch/powerpc/Kconfig:185:config SYS_SUPPORTS_APM_EMULATION
> ./arch/sh/Kconfig:120:config SYS_SUPPORTS_APM_EMULATION
> ./arch/mips/Kconfig:896:config SYS_SUPPORTS_APM_EMULATION
> ./arch/arm/Kconfig:32:config SYS_SUPPORTS_APM_EMULATION
> and none under arch/x86 ! :():
>
> So my bottom line questions are:
> + Am I missing something?
> + What is the 'right way' to configure a 2.6.3m.nn kernel
> that should support battery monitoring on such ancient laptops.
>
> When replying, please CC: yotam DOT medini AT Gmail DOT c0m
> regards -- yotam
> --

arch/x86/Kconfig has the kconfig symbol "APM":

menuconfig APM
tristate "APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS support"
depends on X86_32 && PM_SLEEP
=> /proc/apm for battery status information

so as long as your target system is 32-bit X86, you should be OK.

PM_SLEEP depends on SUSPEND || HIBERNATION. PM needs to be enabled,
and SWAP has to be enabled for HIBERNATION.

---
~Randy
desserts: http://www.xenotime.net/linux/recipes/