APM_CONFIG on x86 - Is it possible?

From: Yotam Medini
Date: Fri Dec 31 2010 - 12:39:03 EST

Hello,

To an ancient target (my UMAX 530T ActionBook - plz don't laugh...)
I am trying to build a lean kernel based on 2.6.32.24 (~ Ubuntu 10.04).
Battery monitoring used to be based on /proc/apm.
I believe ACPI is not supported on this old notebook.
Now, it seems that CONFIG_APM_POWER cannot be set, since:

1. The configuration place for APM_POWER is in:
./drivers/power/Kconfig:25:
config APM_POWER
tristate "APM emulation for class batteries"
depends on APM_EMULATION

2. The configuration place for APM_EMULATION is in:
./kernel/power/Kconfig:201:
config APM_EMULATION
tristate "Advanced Power Management Emulation"
depends on PM && SYS_SUPPORTS_APM_EMULATION

3. But the configuration places for the latter -
SYS_SUPPORTS_APM_EMULATION
- exists only in:
./arch/powerpc/Kconfig:185:config SYS_SUPPORTS_APM_EMULATION
./arch/sh/Kconfig:120:config SYS_SUPPORTS_APM_EMULATION
./arch/mips/Kconfig:896:config SYS_SUPPORTS_APM_EMULATION
./arch/arm/Kconfig:32:config SYS_SUPPORTS_APM_EMULATION
and none under arch/x86 ! :():

So my bottom line questions are:
+ Am I missing something?
+ What is the 'right way' to configure a 2.6.3m.nn kernel
that should support battery monitoring on such ancient laptops.

When replying, please CC: yotam DOT medini AT Gmail DOT c0m
regards -- yotam