Re: [2/8, v5] NUMA Hotplug Emulator: Add node hotplug emulation

From: Shaohui Zheng
Date: Tue Nov 30 2010 - 19:39:44 EST

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:10:09PM -0800, David Rientjes wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Shaohui Zheng wrote:
>
> > We have two memory hotplug interfaces here:
> > add_node: add a new NUMA node
> > probe: add memory section
> >
> > so puting add_node to node/add_node and puting probe to memory/probe should make sense.
> > it is similar with sysfs hierarchy.
> >
> > if we want to move the add_node to mem_hotplug/add_node, I'd prefer to put the probe
> > interface to mem_hotplug/probe since they are also related to memory hotplug.
> >
> > I will include this change in next patchset.
> >

> No, please don't move the 'probe' trigger to debugfs; hotadding memory
> should not depend on CONFIG_DEBUG_FS. Node hotplug emulation _is_ a
> debugging function and can therefore be defined in debugfs as I did but
> with a s/hotplug/mem_hotplug change that Greg suggested.

David,
we provide both debugfs and sysfs interface for memory probe, the sysfs
interface is always available. For debugfs interface, it depends on CONFIG_DEBUG_FS.
we can also think that memory hotplug emulation _is_ a debuging function,
so we accept Dave's suggestion to provide debugfs interface.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Shaohui