Re: [linux-next] automatic use of checkpatch.pl for security?

From: David Daney
Date: Tue Nov 09 2010 - 12:44:36 EST

On 11/09/2010 09:33 AM, Kees Cook wrote:
Hi,

In an effort to continue the constification work, it'd be nice to
not accidentally introduce regressions or add additional work. Since
checkpatch.pl already knows to warn about a lot of things including const
structures, it would be great to have all commits going through linux-next
(or something) have to pass at least a subset of checkpatch.pl's checks.

For example, Lionel Debroux pointed out to me that looking at the last
1000 commits, there are a lot of warnings, including things like:

WARNING: struct dma_map_ops should normally be const
#499: FILE: arch/mips/mm/dma-default.c:301:
+static struct dma_map_ops mips_default_dma_map_ops = {

Can we add some kind of automatic checking to actually give checkpatch.pl
some real teeth for at least some of its checks?

Ok, did you actually try to make it const as suggested? If you had, you would have found that there are declarations throughout the code base that conflict with checkpatch.pl's suggestion.

There are several things we could do:

1) Force people to clean up the entire kernel tree before making trivial changes that checkpatch.pl might complain about.

2) Change checkpatch.pl so that it doesn't complain about this.

3) Make reasonable changes and ignore the checkpatch.pl warning.

In that specific case you cite, #3 was chosen.

If you gate admission to linux-next with some sort of automated check like this, I fear the wrath of the disgruntled masses may fall upon you.

David Daney