[linux-next] automatic use of checkpatch.pl for security?

From: Kees Cook
Date: Tue Nov 09 2010 - 12:34:10 EST

Hi,

In an effort to continue the constification work, it'd be nice to
not accidentally introduce regressions or add additional work. Since
checkpatch.pl already knows to warn about a lot of things including const
structures, it would be great to have all commits going through linux-next
(or something) have to pass at least a subset of checkpatch.pl's checks.

For example, Lionel Debroux pointed out to me that looking at the last
1000 commits, there are a lot of warnings, including things like:

WARNING: struct dma_map_ops should normally be const
#499: FILE: arch/mips/mm/dma-default.c:301:
+static struct dma_map_ops mips_default_dma_map_ops = {

Can we add some kind of automatic checking to actually give checkpatch.pl
some real teeth for at least some of its checks?

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team