Re: linux-next: manual merge of the msm tree with the arm tree

From: Daniel Walker
Date: Mon Oct 18 2010 - 17:06:06 EST

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 22:48 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Monday 18 October 2010 22:37:31 Daniel Walker wrote:
> > > When you know that Russell does not rebase his tree, you can pull his
> > > tree into yours whenever a change hits his tree that impacts you in
> > > a major way. You shouldn't do this too frequently, but it's a good way
> > > to resolve conflicts like this one.
> >
> > If I did that all of Russell's changesets would get mixed with mine when
> > I send the pull request .. That would just create confusion .. It's OK
> > if Russell sends my commits to Linus, but I'm not going to send
> > Russell's commits.
>
> Actually both are ok, as long as you as the sub-maintainer send your
> pull request after Russell's tree has been merged and you don't
> ask anyone else to pull your tree who has not pulled Russell's tree
> explicitly or implicitly through Linus.
>
> git-request-pull is smart enough to list only the changesets that
> are not in the upstream tree, as will git "log your-branch...upstream"
> or "git diff your-branch upstream".

I guess your assuming I send my pull request after Russell's, which
isn't necessarily true, and I'd rather not have that dependency if I
don't have to.

Even with a one time event what your suggesting seems like it would be
some what freaky. I wouldn't want to wait around for Russell to get his
tree merged before I can get a reasonable log of my own activities
(without jumping through hoops).

Of course I could do what your suggesting, I just don't think it's the
easiest way to fix this.

Daniel