Re: [patch] x86: allow ZONE_DMA to be configurable

From: David Rientjes
Date: Fri Oct 15 2010 - 05:05:47 EST

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Also, historically we have not been moving kconfig variables in and out
> of CONFIG_EMBEDDED all that often for this to be an issue in the future.

There are also kconfig options that depend on EMBEDDED that are actually
for embedded or very small systems; the most obvious example that comes to
mind is SLOB. Simply doing an s/EMBEDDED/EXPERT/ conversion seems
appropriate given the semantics for the option that Peter gave, but there
are exceptions that will need to be identified, and I think SLOB is one of
them.

I don't think we need a kconfig _dependency_ that exists solely to
identify other config options for a specific field of hardware, but then
we leave a burden for those users to identify the correct options that
they need for their configurations that was, I'm assuming, the original
intent of CONFIG_EMBEDDED in the first place. So perhaps we can allow an
option for small embedded systems that can "select" other options when
enabled but don't have strict "depends" requirements?

I had a thread with Matt Mackall about a year and a half ago on LKML about
the meaning of CONFIG_EMBEDDED and its use for the SLOB allocator; it
would be much better for us to identify systems with memory limitations
that strive to reduce footprint as much as possible to automatically
select certain options over others. I believe we talked about SLOB being
the default for systems with under 16MB of memory, but we have limited
ability to identify that for the user.