Re: [patch] x86: allow ZONE_DMA to be configurable

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Oct 15 2010 - 00:46:12 EST

On 10/14/2010 08:03 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Dunno, that i'd consider more of a bug. If an architecture absolutely
> needs to configure in or out a kernel feature then it should not be
> under CONFIG_EXPERT on other architectures either: it only sets us up
> for cross-arch build failures if say the CONFIG_EXPERT dependency is
> present on x86.

Well, no, it really rather makes sense.

Consider something like CONFIG_SERIO_I8042 -- that is very much an
EXPERT option to remove on x86, but on a lot of other platforms it is
Just Another Interface.

So I think CONFIG_EXPERT_ will just encourage people to do strange
things and reduces flexibility.

-hpa