Re: [tip:perf/urgent] perf, x86: Catch spurious interrupts afterdisabling counters

From: Robert Richter
Date: Wed Sep 29 2010 - 08:53:47 EST

Stephane,

On 29.09.10 08:26:41, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> You've applied the fix only to the generic X86 interrupt handler
> which is currently used by AMD64 processors.

(... and P4).

> It seems to me that this "in-flight interrupt after disable" problem
> may also happen on Intel and should therefore also be added
> to intel_pmu_handle_irq(). Don't you think so?

It only happens if the active_mask is used for checking single
counters for overflows.

Systems with Intel Architectural Perfmon use the status mask msr to
determine which counter overflowed. In intel_pmu_handle_irq() the
handled counter is incremented in this case even if the counter is not
active, so everything should be fine here.

-Robert

--
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Operating System Research Center