Re: disabling group leader perf_event

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Sep 09 2010 - 03:38:41 EST

* Frank Ch. Eigler <fche@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> mingo wrote:

- slightly disparaging author quotation style: check

> > [...] Do you know some interesting usecase that would be excluded
> > via such address restrictions?
>
> You could study tracing-oriented runtime systems such as those of
> dtrace, dprobes, or even systemtap, to help answer such questions.

- slightly superior sounding style of discussion: check

> > Things like flexible arrays or more complex data structures such as
> > trees couldnt be used initially. More complex data structures would
> > need locking in any case. [...] I.e. it would initially be
> > restricted roughly to code where halting can be proven. Still looks
> > interesting to me [...]
>
> There are years of experience out there to learn from. Note the sorts
> of filtering expressions (never mind control logic) used in the prior
> art, so that you can know what you're about to sacrifice by a
> simple-sounding implementation.

- offhanded, patronizing tone: check

- widespread lack of specifics: check

- dissing others while promoting systemtap: check

... so i dont really need to look at the 'From' field to see that this
reply can only have come from 'fche'!

Thanks,

Ingo