Re: [patch 4/6] jbd: remove dependency on __GFP_NOFAIL

From: Jan Kara
Date: Mon Aug 23 2010 - 18:04:36 EST

On Mon 23-08-10 12:28:13, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:51:03 +0200
> Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon 16-08-10 19:58:01, David Rientjes wrote:
> > > Removes the dependency on __GFP_NOFAIL by looping indefinitely in the
> > > caller.
> > >
> > > The error handling when kzalloc() returns NULL in start_this_handle()
> > > was removed since it was unreachable.
> > Thanks! I've added the patch to my tree.
>
> Please unadd it. JBD should be fixed so that it can appropriately
> handle out-of-memory conditions. Until that time we shouldn't hide its
> shortcomings with this open-coded equivalent.
Well, I wanted to make it easy for David so that he can proceed with his
removal of __GFP_NOFAIL. I agree that pushing the looping from the
allocator to the callers seems of a disputable value to me as well. So do
you think that we should keep __GFP_NOFAIL as long as all callers are not
able to handle allocation failures in more reasonable way?

Honza

--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>
SUSE Labs, CR