Re: [linux-pm] Notes from the Boston Linux Power Management Mini-summit- August 9th, 2010

From: Bryan Huntsman
Date: Mon Aug 16 2010 - 21:09:24 EST

Mark Brown wrote:
On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 01:36:33AM -0400, Len Brown wrote:

A gap:

On OMAP, bus control is independent of CPU frequency control,
so cpufreq and cpuidle don't quite fit the bill.

Perhaps a "bus-idle" analogous to "cpu-idle" may be appropriate?

FWIW this applies to a bunch of other embedded processors too - OMAP
isn't particularly unique here, though it's one of the furthest along in
terms of exploting this in mainline Linux.

This capability would benefit MSM as well. We're looking into a soc-specific implementation using Pat Pannuto's "pseudo" platform bus extensions (discussed here http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/8/10/389). After we have something working, I would be curious to see if some common functionality could be extracted into a more generic mechanism.

- Bryan