Re: "make rpm" failed with parameter "--scm-only"

From: Michal Marek
Date: Wed Jul 21 2010 - 09:41:56 EST

On 21.7.2010 03:30, Zheng, Jiajia wrote:
> Michal Marek wrote:
>> were you able to test the fix? I'd like to send it to Linus.
>>
> Thank you. This patch works OK.

Thanks a lot for testing it.

> But I still saw below warnings. Of course, it was not introduced by your patch because that I saw such warnings before. Could you also take a look if there's some problem with Makefile?
> + make clean
> make[2]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add `+' to parent make rule.

I found the explanation in the make info page:

`warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add `+' to parent make rule.'
In order for `make' processes to communicate, the parent will pass
information to the child. Since this could result in problems if
the child process isn't actually a `make', the parent will only do
this if it thinks the child is a `make'. The parent uses the
normal algorithms to determine this (*note How the `MAKE' Variable
Works: MAKE Variable.). If the makefile is constructed such that
the parent doesn't know the child is a `make' process, then the
child will receive only part of the information necessary. [...]

Which is our case: The parent make only sees the rpmbuild call. The fix
would probably be to clear all make environment variables before running
rpmbuild.

> + make -j4
> make[2]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.

Another symptom of the same problem.

> I got a RPM package: kernel-2.6.35rc5wl+-6.x86_64.rpm

Great :).

Michal