Re: [patch 1/2] x86_64 page fault NMI-safe

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Thu Jul 15 2010 - 12:44:59 EST

* Linus Torvalds (torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I think the %rip check should be pretty simple - exactly because there
> > is only a single point where the race is open between that 'mov' and
> > the 'iret'. So it's simpler than the (similar) thing we do for
> > debug/nmi stack fixup for sysenter that has to check a range.
>
> So this is what I think it might look like, with the %rip in place.
> And I changed the "nmi_stack_ptr" thing to have both the pointer and a
> flag - because it turns out that in the single-instruction race case,
> we actually want the old pointer.
>
> Totally untested, of course. But _something_ like this might work:
>
> #
> # Two per-cpu variables: a "are we nested" flag (one byte), and
> # a "if we're nested, what is the %rsp for the nested case".
> #
> # The reason for why we can't just clear the saved-rsp field and
> # use that as the flag is that we actually want to know the saved
> # rsp for the special case of having a nested NMI happen on the
> # final iret of the unnested case.
> #
> nmi:
> cmpb $0,%__percpu_seg:nmi_stack_nesting
> jne nmi_nested_corrupt_and_return
> cmpq $nmi_iret_address,0(%rsp)
> je nmi_might_be_nested
> # create new stack
> is_unnested_nmi:
> # Save some space for nested NMI's. The exception itself
> # will never use more space, but it might use less (since
> # if will be a kernel-kernel transition). But the nested
> # exception will want two save registers and a place to
> # save the original CS that it will corrupt
> subq $64,%rsp
>
> # copy the five words of stack info. 96 = 64 + stack
> # offset of ss.
> pushq 96(%rsp) # ss
> pushq 96(%rsp) # rsp
> pushq 96(%rsp) # eflags
> pushq 96(%rsp) # cs
> pushq 96(%rsp) # rip
>
> # and set the nesting flags
> movq %rsp,%__percpu_seg:nmi_stack_ptr
> movb $0xff,%__percpu_seg:nmi_stack_nesting
>
> regular_nmi_code:
> # regular NMI code goes here, and can take faults,
> # because this sequence now has proper nested-nmi
> # handling
> nmi_exit:
> movb $0,%__percpu_seg:nmi_stack_nesting

The first thing that strikes me is that we could be interrupted by a standard
interrupt on top of the iret instruction below. This interrupt handler could in
turn be interrupted by a NMI, so the NMI handler would not know that it is
nested over nmi_iret_address. Maybe we could simply disable interrupts
explicitly at the beginning of the handler, so they get re-enabled by iret below
upon return from nmi ?

Doing that would ensure that only NMIs can interrupt us.

I'll look a bit more at the code and come back with more comments if things come
up.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--