potential race in virtio ring?

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Date: Mon Jun 14 2010 - 10:04:34 EST

Hi!
I was going over the vring code and noticed, that
the ring has this check:

irqreturn_t vring_interrupt(int irq, void *_vq)
{
struct vring_virtqueue *vq = to_vvq(_vq);

if (!more_used(vq)) {
pr_debug("virtqueue interrupt with no work for %p\n", vq);
return IRQ_NONE;

static inline bool more_used(const struct vring_virtqueue *vq)
{
return vq->last_used_idx != vq->vring.used->idx;
}

My concern is that with virtio net, more_used is called
on a CPU different from the one that polls the vq.
This might mean that last_used_idx value might be stale.
Could this lead to a missed interrupt?

Thanks,

--
MST