Hardcore trashing without any swap

From: LÃszlà Monda
Date: Thu Jun 10 2010 - 20:10:40 EST

Hi List,

The problem I'm facing with is very simple, yet extremely irritating
in nature. I have a laptop with 4G RAM and I don't use any swap.
Whenever the RAM is full my system keeps trashing. This makes X and
SSH completely unresponsive for about a hour then a bunch of processes
gets killed and it's usable again.

How is possible that my system is trashing even though I don't use any swap?

I'd expect the kernel to immediately kill the largest process without
any trashing so I could continue my work right after the event. How
is it possible to configure?

laci@nitehawk:~$ uname -a
Linux nitehawk 2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 04:38:19
UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'd gladly provide any more details but I'm not sure what is relevant
and I guess it's a pretty general problem so you're welcomed to ask
about any more information.

Thank you very much for your answer in advance!

PS: Please CC me because I'm not on the list.

--
LÃszlà Monda <http://monda.hu>