Re: Fwd: EXT3 File System Corruption 2.6.34

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Jun 10 2010 - 17:04:23 EST

Jeffrey Merkey wrote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeffrey Merkey <jeffmerkey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:55 PM
Subject: Re: EXT3 File System Corruption 2.6.34
To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>

On Jun 7, 2010, at 6:55 PM, Jeffrey Merkey <jeffmerkey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeffrey Merkey <jeffmerkey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 5:54 PM
To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>

REPLY TO ALL

CONFIG_EXT3_DEFAULTS_TO_ORDERED is not set

Whether set this way or not, should not see corruption.
Here you are mistaken. Mount with data=ordered and see. Writeback can
expose stale data.

-Eric

OK. I will set this up. You may want to make this option the default
in the build scripts. here is a corrupted file. This was a .gif
image file I saved THEN AFTER SAVING THE FILE I pulled the power to
the machine and during recovery the file was FUCKED. At any rate,
this does not happen with 2.6.28.

Having bad things happen when power is removed is not much of a surprise, and various options can fix that at the cost of speed. The fact that this didn't happen with 2.6.28 is bothersome.

I actually take some care to avoid testing behavior in this area, not my normal intended mode of operation.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>