Re: kbuild: Fix the breakage caused by "improve version stringlogic"

From: David Rientjes
Date: Wed Jun 09 2010 - 02:55:45 EST

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Boaz Harrosh wrote:

> What is a tagged commit:
>
> [my_tree] $ git branch
> *master
> [my_tree] $ git tag v2.6.35-rc2-my-tree
> [my_tree] $ cat localversion-my-tree
> -my-tree
>
> I still get: DEPMOD 2.6.35-rc2-my-tree+
>
> How to solve? please specify.

You need to use git tag -a.

> In my tree there is 2.6.35-rc2-my-tree so it cannot be mistaken with
> Linus tree.

Just because you have appended "-my-tree" to the version string does not
mean it is not vanilla 2.6.35-rc2. You could append information such as
that just for a different config, for instance. The `+' modifies the base
kernel version (2.6.35-rc2), not the string itself or whatever you choose
to add to it.

> > As mentioned previously, you can easily suppress that from being added by
> > using "make LOCALVERSION=-foo" to create a 2.6.35-rc2-foo kernel when you
> > do not have CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO enabled. You already found that you
> > cannot pass an empty LOCALVERSION string, so it must be something to
> > identify itself as unique from vanilla 2.6.35-rc2.
> >

> As mentioned previously this is not an option I do not have git control
> over how this gets compiled.

If your git repository is publically accessible, it is very simple to tag
commits that you want your users to pull from to indicate it's a
"release". That allows you to determine whether other users have extra
commits on top of your release when they send you bug reports, for
example, which is quite helpful.