Re: [git pull] drm fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jun 07 2010 - 17:23:47 EST

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, David Woodhouse wrote:

> The fix is fairly trivial. There's a "big" patch to fs/jffs2/dir.c which
> accounts for the bulk of my pull request, but if you look harder you'll
> see it's mostly just a bunch of removing 'return ret;' and adding
> 'goto fail;' so the error cleanup happens properly.

So that's the part I'm worried about.

I'm going to be hardnosed, but I'm _not_ going to so hardnosed as to worry
about some oneliner DocBook patch. It's not about being anal to quite that
degree, that would be silly. But the dir.c change is what I end up
worrying about.

It's not at all clear why it's good to change

jffs2_clear_inode(inode);

into

make_bad_inode(inode);
iput(inode);

and that changelog doesn't really explain it either ("fix leak"? Ok, I can
see the iput() fixing the leak - but you also did that jffs2_clear_inode()
change, and that has no explanation what-so-ever.

So is this a safe thing that definitely fixes a serious bug? I am left
with no good way to judge.

Linus