Re: [RFC] new ->perform_write fop

From: Dave Chinner
Date: Thu May 20 2010 - 19:05:35 EST

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:12:32PM +0200, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Thu 20-05-10 09:50:54, Dave Chinner wrote:

> > > As I said, we can have a dumb fallback path for filesystems that
> > > don't implement hole punching. Clear the blocks past i size, and
> > > zero out the allocated but not initialized blocks.
> > >
> > > There does not have to be pagecache allocated in order to do this,
> > > you could do direct IO from the zero page in order to do it.
> >
> > I don't see that as a good solution - it's once again a fairly
> > complex way of dealing with the problem, especially as it now means
> > that direct io would fall back to buffered which would fall back to
> > direct IO....
> >
> > > Hole punching is not only useful there, it is already exposed to
> > > userspace via MADV_REMOVE.
> >
> > That interface is *totally broken*. It has all the same problems as
> > vmtruncate() for removing file blocks (because it uses vmtruncate).
> > It also has the fundamental problem of being called un the mmap_sem,
> > which means that inode locks and therefore de-allocation cannot be
> > executed without the possibility of deadlocks. Fundamentally, hole
> > punching is an inode operation, not a VM operation....

> > > An API that doesn't require that, though, should be less overhead
> > > and simpler.
> > >
> > > Is it really going to be a problem to implement block hole punching
> > > in ext4 and gfs2?
> >
> > I can't follow the ext4 code - it's an intricate maze of weird entry
> > and exit points, so I'm not even going to attempt to comment on it.
> Hmm, I was thinking about it and I see two options how to get out
> of problems:
> a) Filesystems which are not able to handle hole punching will allow
> multipage writes only after EOF (which can be easily undone by
> truncate in case of failure). That should actually cover lots of
> cases we are interested in (I don't expect multipage writes to holes
> to be a common case).

multipage writes to holes is a relatively common operation in the
HPC space that XFS is designed for (e.g. calculations on huge sparse
matrices), so I'm not really fond of this idea....

> b) E.g. ext4 can do even without hole punching. It can allocate extent
> as 'unwritten' and when something during the write fails, it just
> leaves the extent allocated and the 'unwritten' flag makes sure that
> any read will see zeros. I suppose that other filesystems that care
> about multipage writes are able to do similar things (e.g. btrfs can
> do the same as far as I remember, I'm not sure about gfs2).

Allocating multipage writes as unwritten extents turns off delayed
allocation and hence we'd lose all the benefits that this gives...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner