Re: Does anyone care about gcc 3.x support for x86 anymore?

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
Date: Wed May 19 2010 - 19:11:17 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Recently, we have seen an increasing number of problems with gcc 3.4 on
> x86; mostly due to poor constant propagation producing not just bad code
> but failing to properly eliminate what should be dead code.

I don't see any problem, as, if people are using gcc3, they are probably
not interested on the bleeding edge kernel.

However, if the problems are just performance/dead code removal, I would
just add a big warning if someone tries to compile x86 with it. I don't
like very much the idea of having different minimum gcc requirements
for each architecture, except if gcc is producing a broken code.

Currently,Documentation/Changes list just a common minimal list for
everything - although the text describing gcc say that the "version
requirements" may vary for each CPU type.

--

Cheers,
Mauro