Re: Improving OOM killer

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Feb 10 2010 - 17:20:23 EST

> Killing the system daemon *is* a DoS.
>
> It would stop eg. the database or the web server, which is
> generally the main task of systems that run a database or
> a web server.

One of the problems with picking on tasks that fork a lot is that
describes apache perfectly. So a high loaded apache will get shot over a
rapid memory eating cgi script.

Any heuristic is going to be iffy - but that isn't IMHO a good one to
work from. If anything "who allocated lots of RAM recently" may be a
better guide but we don't keep stats for that.

Alan