Re: Failure to fallback to nfsd-v3 (?)

From: J. Bruce Fields
Date: Mon Feb 08 2010 - 13:33:26 EST

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 05:23:49PM +0900, OGAWA Hirofumi wrote:
> "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> >> And the following commit seems to change the behavior.
> >>
> >> [nfsd4: fix error return when pseudoroot missing]
> >> f39bde24b275ddc45df1ed835725b609e178c7a0
> >>
> >> Well, anyway, is this a expected behavior change, or something bug?
> >
> > It's expected. I'd recommend turning off nfsv4 on the server (add "-N4"
> > to the rpc.nfsd commandline) for now.
>
> This looks like the silent user visible change. So, it would be better
> to add more comment at least in changelog.
>
> Well, anyway, thanks. (BTW, I assumed rpc.nfsd is typo of rpc.mountd)

No, the -N4 tells rpc.mountd to turn off NFSv4 support before starting
the server.

The problem is that the server is accepting NFSv4 rpc calls even though
it doesn't actually support v4, so the mount fails a few rpc's later
with an odd error.

I changed that error around the same time "mount" on the client was
modified to start trying v4 support first, and the mount code included a
workaround for the linux server behavior that only handled exactly the
old errors.

--b.