Re: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernel IR system?

From: Christoph Bartelmus
Date: Sun Dec 06 2009 - 07:02:50 EST

Hi Dmitry,

on 05 Dec 09 at 22:55, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
[...]
> I do not believe you are being realistic. Sometimes we just need to say
> that the device is a POS and is just not worth it. Remember, there is
> still "lirc hole" for the hard core people still using solder to produce
> something out of the spare electronic components that may be made to
> work (never mind that it causes the CPU constantly poll the device, not
> letting it sleep and wasting electricity as a result - just hypotetical
> example here).

The still seems to be is a persistent misconception that the home-brewn
receivers need polling or cause heavy CPU load. No they don't. All of them
are IRQ based.
It's the commercial solutions like gpio based IR that need polling.
For transmitters it's a different story, but you don't transmit 24h/7.

Christoph