Weird suspend/resume problem on HP nx6325 w/ openSUSE 11.2 w/ -rc8

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Sat Nov 21 2009 - 18:15:16 EST

Hi,

I'm not really sure where this should be reported, but here it goes.

After installing openSUSE 11.2 on my testbed nx6325 I noticed that resume
(from suspend to RAM) stopped working on it. Apparently, it hanged while
switching from the console back to X and the box remained completely
unresponsive after that (it didn't even react to the magic sysrq). However,
it used to work just fine with -rc7 and openSUSE 11.1, so I figured the problem
was related to the new X driver, which is radeon module version 6.12.4 (xorg
server 1.6.5).

So, I started to investigate and found that after a suspend from a framebuffer
console, the resume had always worked. However, when I switched from X to the
framebuffer console, suspended, resumed and switched back to X, the box hanged
immediately just like during resume after a suspend from under X. [There also
were some problems when switching from X to the framebuffer console and back
which seemd to be independent of suspend/resume (in short, the screen stays
black after a switch from the framebuffer console to X and you need to kill X
to fix this).]

Later, however, I discovered that if the box was booted into runlevel 3, then
suspended to RAM and resumed, and then switched to runlevel 5, I could log
into X and suspend/resume without any problems for many times. OTOH, after
booting directly into X, the first attempt to resume always resulted in a black
screen and a hard hang.

I wonder what's up in there.

[Hibernation/resume works 100% of the time AFAICS.]

Thanks,
Rafael