Re: Please consider reverting7d930bc33653d5592dc386a76a38f39c2e962344

From: Johannes Berg
Date: Tue Nov 03 2009 - 03:58:05 EST

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 00:47 -0800, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> > I just think that it's a matter of courtesy that should be independent
> > from the release cycle to ask the author/maintainer by default, not as a
> > second thought ("unless [...] have other solution"). You can always CC
> > Linus and ask him to revert if you don't get a response.
> >
> > What's wrong with that? It doesn't actually delay the action, but it
> > makes the discussion much more friendly and cooperative instead of
> > giving the author and maintainer the feeling that their opinion only
> > matters as a second thought.
> >

> I think you are reading too much into who was addressed directly and who
> was "only" CCed...

Maybe. But it seems to be happening pretty often recently that people
first ask for a revert and then for a fix, ignoring any thought that
might have gone into a particular commit...

> OK, next time (which I hope won't happen :) )

So do I! :)

> I'll just address everyone directly. Will that work?

Much better, at least for me. Hey, I try to respond quickly.

(incidentally, I can't imagine an upstream revert actually helping at
all ... that just creates a merge mess)

johannes