Re: udev in kernel source?

From: Frans Pop
Date: Sun Oct 25 2009 - 15:33:47 EST

(For the kernel mailing lists it is customary to reply-to-all. Due to the
very high volume on linux-kernel it's otherwise easy to miss replies.)

Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> And there is another issue: AFAIK distributors handle at least parts of
> the udev configuration including rules.

Exactly. Those "plug-in" rules installed by other packages can quite easily
conflict or overlap with a new version of udev.

For an example of how a udev update can break other programs, see
http://bugs.debian.org/545801.

> Maybe its more about the discoverability of such issue: I don't look into
> the boot log / syslog every day. ;)

Give logcheck a try. I run it on most of my systems, including my laptop.

> Hopefully upward incompatible changes in SysFS could be avoided in the
> future.

I wouldn't want to bet on that ;-)

Cheers,
FJP