Re: removing existing working drivers via staging

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Oct 15 2009 - 12:51:40 EST

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 09:39:51AM -0700, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
> however, what I think I saw proposed was to move drivers that need to be
> 'cleaned up', to staging and then dropping them if they don't get cleaned.

What is "proposed" is the following:

- For drivers currently in the kernel tree, that the subsystem
maintainer, for whatever reason, feels is obsolete / broken /
needs major cleaning / wants to get rid of, can be submitted
to the staging maintainer to be moved to the drivers/staging/
directory.
- For a file to be moved into this directory, all of the normal
staging rules apply, including most importantly, a TODO file
listing what needs to be done to the driver in order for it to
be moved back into the main portion of the kernel tree.
- If, after a period of 3 releases, no work has been done on the
driver by anyone, the driver will be removed from the staging
tree, just like all drivers in the staging tree.

Note, as always, if a driver wants to come back from removal of the
staging tree, a simple email to the staging maintainer, along with the
promise that work will be done, is all it takes to resurrect it.

Sound good?

Now, where to put these "rules"? Any suggestions?

thanks,

greg k-h