Re: removing existing working drivers via staging

From: david
Date: Thu Oct 15 2009 - 12:43:21 EST

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Stefan Richter wrote:

david@xxxxxxx wrote:
I missed this discussion in the thread "Moving drivers into
staging (was Re: [GIT PULL] SCSI fixes for 2.6.32-" and I suspect that
many others did as well

for those that missed it, as I understand it the proposal is that 'ugly'
(working drivers that don't do things the kernel way and are perceived as
not being commonly used anymore) drivers will get moved into staging, and

There was mention of "abandoned and unused" drivers (rather than "not
/commonly/ used anymore"), see e.g.
(2nd to last paragraph; thread continues with Greg's follow-up).

how can you tell if a driver is "unused"? (other than leaving it broken for several years and getting no complaints)

if the driver maintainers do not clean them up within 6-9 months they will
be removed entirely.

the expectation is that if there are no maintainers for the driver who
care enough to do the cleanup they should be removed (with interested
users being able to take over maintaining the drivers if there the
maintainers are MIA)

I have several reactions to this

I think that 6-9 months (2-3 releases) is _far_ too short for users to
notice. most users will be using a distro kernel that is on a release
cycle longer than this (even if they are not using a 'enterprise' distro),
so their first inkling of a problem will be the driver disappearing on
them. Yes the driver can be recovered through git, bit at that point
there is going to be catch-up changes to make.

What happened to the desire that Linux would be able to use anything, and
once a driver was upstream changes to the kernel that would break it
should be fixed by whoever is introducing those changes? This seems to be
moving in the direction of only having drivers for fairly current, fairly
common hardware.

AFAIU, mostly just code which is known to _not work_ anymore or has been
functionally replaced by an alternative drops out of the mainline. This
idea of using drivers/staging/ in the process is surely not going to
change that in principle; it will only raise awareness among active
kernel developers better than feature-removal-schedule.txt can do.

I don't disagree with dropping code that has been replaced by an alternative. and I don't disagree much with dropping broken code.

however, what I think I saw proposed was to move drivers that need to be 'cleaned up', to staging and then dropping them if they don't get cleaned.

David Lang