Re: (Solved) Problem compile kernel on Ubuntu and using on Debian

From: Frans Pop
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 13:21:23 EST

Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> If you get past this one, by compiling enough modules into the kernel,
> BUT then a lot of modules does not seem to be loaded (modprobe).
[...]
> Q: I don't know why a depmod update is required, anyone feel free to
> answer that question?

The most likely reason is that the two systems have different, and
incompatible, versions of module-init-tools.

I've seen the same problem in the past [1] and, after a hefty discussion,
accepted that you just _have_ to always run depmod -a after installing a
kernel and before generating an initrd.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/518407