(Solved) Problem compile kernel on Ubuntu and using on Debian

From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 07:34:43 EST

Hi Google,

I had a problem compile kernel 2.6.31.3 on an Ubuntu 9.04 server (CPU
core i7) and using it on a Debian 5.0.3 lenny (CPU Atom 330). Both
systems using the 64-bit version of the OS'es. And kernel compiled
for x86_64.

Problems seen:
"Waiting for root file system..."

If you get past this one, by compiling enough modules into the kernel,
BUT then a lot of modules does not seem to be loaded (modprobe).

Solution:

The solution seems to be related to the modules.dep files generated on
the Ubuntu system and copied to the debian system.

Run the following commands on the debian system:

depmod -a 2.6.31.3-ubuntu-compiled
update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.31.3-ubuntu-compiled
update-grub2

Which means:
1. update the modules.dep files
2. recreate the initrd.img
3. update the grub config

Q: I don't know why a depmod update is required, anyone feel free to answer that question?

Ubuntu 9.04:
depmod -V
module-init-tools 3.7-pre9
gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) 4.3.3

Debian lenny:
depmod -V
module-init-tools 3.4
gcc --version
gcc (Debian 4.3.2-1.1) 4.3.2

My reason for compiling on the Ubuntu system, is that its CPU is a
Core i7, which can compile the kernel in 5 minuts where the Debian
systems has a ATOM 330 CPU which uses 58 minuts to compile the same
kernel...

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
Jesper Brouer