Re: Epic regression in throughput since v2.6.23

From: Jesse Brandeburg
Date: Tue Sep 08 2009 - 13:55:41 EST

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Serge
Belyshev<belyshev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi. I've done measurments of time taken by make -j4 kernel build
> on a quadcore box.  Results are interesting: mainline kernel
> has regressed since v2.6.23 release by more than 10%.

Is this related to why I now have to double the amount of threads X I
pass to make -jX, in order to use all my idle time for a kernel
compile? I had noticed (without measuring exactly) that it seems with
each kernel released in this series mentioned, I had to increase my
number of worker threads, my common working model now is (cpus * 2) in
order to get zero idle time.

Sorry I haven't tested BFS yet, but am interested to see if it helps
interactivity when playing flash videos on my dual core laptop.