Re: [PULL]

From: Michael Krufky
Date: Mon Aug 31 2009 - 07:03:26 EST

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Mauro Carvalho
Chehab<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Em Sun, 30 Aug 2009 08:53:35 -0400
> Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
>> Mauro,
>> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Michael Krufky<mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Mauro,
>> >
>> > Would you please send the final GPIO fix to Linus to fix the
>> > regression on the Hauppauge devices.  2.6.31 is in -rc7 now, and I
>> > would hate for this regression to not yet be solved before the kernel
>> > is released.
>> >
>> > I apologize for nagging -- I just prefer for fixes to be merged
>> > upstream *before* a kernel release.
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>> >
>> > Just as a reminder, the changeset that is still waiting for upstream merge is:
>> >
>> > *       sms1xxx: restore GPIO functionality for all Hauppauge devices
>> Just another reminder -- this is cutting it very close now.
>> I repeat, that this is a feature that worked in previous kernels but
>> is broken in 2.6.31.
>> I feel very concerned, considering that I posted a regression fix over
>> six weeks ago and it still has not made it into Linus' kernel tree.
> Part of the time were spent trying to reach Siano for their comments. This were
> added on my queue on Aug, 19, after our unsuccessful trial of contacting them.
> Unfortunately, I had a bad time having to rebase my -git trees, removing some
> patches there in order to fix a conflict related to arch patches sent via
> my tree.
> You don't need to worry since they'll be send in time for 2.6.31.
>> I understand that you are a busy man -- Would it be easier for you if
>> I sent this patch to Linus, myself?
> I'm currently merging the pending patches on my tree. I should be sending a
> pull request upstream by the end of the day or tomorrow.
> If you just send it directly, you'll break my tree, and cause troubles on the
> upstream request for some other patches for 2.6.31


I see the GPIO fix in your git tree now -- Thanks for merging it.

However, I also see this changeset:;a=commitdiff;h=31e0ad693fb4e1d1be19dbe1c4f5a1ab9978e810

I believe that it is way too late in 2.6.31 to merge a changeset like
this -- Please revert that and if there is actually a Kconfig change
required, merge a more minimal change for 2.6.31 and hold off this
huge, risky change for the next merge window.

There is not enough time to fix this, if this changeset causes
additional breakage.

Thank you,

Mike Krufky
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
More majordomo info at
Please read the FAQ at