Re: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation ispossible

From: Ric Wheeler
Date: Tue Aug 25 2009 - 20:32:22 EST

On 08/25/2009 08:16 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
On Tue 2009-08-25 20:11:21, Ric Wheeler wrote:
On 08/25/2009 07:53 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:
Why don't you hold all of your most precious data on that single S-ATA
drive for five year on one box and put a second copy on a small RAID5
with ext3 for the same period?

Repeat experiment until you get up to something like google scale or the
other papers on failures in national labs in the US and then we can have
an informed discussion.

I'm not interested in discussing statistics with you. I'd rather discuss
fsync() and storage design issues.

ext3 is designed to work on single SATA disks, and it is not designed
to work on flash cards/degraded MD RAID5s, as Ted acknowledged.

You are simply incorrect, Ted did not say that ext3 does not work
with MD raid5.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/8/25/312
Pavel

I will let Ted clarify his text on his own, but the quoted text says "... have potential...".

Why not ask Neil if he designed MD to not work properly with ext3?

Ric