Re: vbus design points: shm and shm-signals

From: Anthony Liguori
Date: Mon Aug 24 2009 - 15:02:36 EST

Gregory Haskins wrote:
Ingo Molnar wrote:
We all love faster code and better management interfaces and tons of your prior patches got accepted by Avi. This time you didnt even _try_ to improve virtio.
Im sorry, but you are mistaken:

http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0904.2/02443.html

BTW: One point that I forgot to point out in this most recent thread
that I am particularly proud of here is the design of the vbus
shared-memory model. Despite some claims to the contrary; not only is
it possible to improve virtio with vbus (as evident by the patch
referenced above)...I specifically designed vbus with virtio
considerations in mind from the start! In fact, the design is conducive
to accelerating a variety of other models as well. Read on for details.

Vbus was designed it to be _agnostic_ to the shm algorithm in general.
This allows you to, of course, run ring algorithms (such as virtqueues,
or IOQs), but really any other designs as well, such as shared-tables, etc.

A guest driver sees the following interface:

struct vbus_device_proxy_ops {
int (*open)(struct vbus_device_proxy *dev, int version, int flags);
int (*close)(struct vbus_device_proxy *dev, int flags);
int (*shm)(struct vbus_device_proxy *dev, int id, int prio,
void *ptr, size_t len,
struct shm_signal_desc *sigdesc, struct shm_signal **signal,
int flags);
int (*call)(struct vbus_device_proxy *dev, u32 func,
void *data, size_t len, int flags);
void (*release)(struct vbus_device_proxy *dev);
};

note the ops->shm() method. This allows the driver to register some
arbitrary pointer (ptr, len) with the host, optionally embedding a
shm_signal_desc object in the memory. If "sigdesc" is non-null, the
connector will allocate and return a fully formed shm_signal object in
**signal.

Fundamentally, how is this different than the virtio->add_buf concept?

virtio provides a mechanism to register scatter/gather lists, associate a handle with them, and provides a mechanism for retrieving notification that the buffer has been processed.

vbus provides a mechanism to register a single buffer with an integer handle, priority, and a signaling mechanism.

So virtio provides builtin support for scatter/gathers whereas vbus models priority. But fundamentally, they seem like almost identical concepts.

If we added priority to virtio->add_buf, would it be equivalent in your mind functionally speaking?

What does one do with priority, btw?

Is there something I'm overlooking?

Regards,

Anthony Liguroi