Re: nfs: __setup_str_nfs_root_setup causes a section type conflict

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 18:11:43 EST

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 23:52 +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 05:07:23PM -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 22:57 +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > $ make init/do_mounts.o
> > > CHK include/linux/version.h
> > > CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
> > > SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-parisc
> > > CALL scripts/checksyscalls.sh
> > > CC init/do_mounts.o
> > >
> > > while:
> > >
> > > $ make fs/nfs/nfsroot.o
> > > CHK include/linux/version.h
> > > CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
> > > SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-parisc
> > > CALL scripts/checksyscalls.sh
> > > CC fs/nfs/nfsroot.o
> > > fs/nfs/nfsroot.c:403: error: __setup_str_nfs_root_setup causes a section type
> > > conflict
> >
> > To me that looks like some kind of compiler bug.
>
> unspecified behaviour is a better name for it.
>
> We have two variables we have forced a section on.
> One variable is marked RO by the compiler while the other is not.
> This results in a section type conflict because all
> symbols needs to have the same falgs.
>
> We usually triggers this with powerpc builds (64 bit IIRC),
> and now with parisc too.
>
> The only way to fix it is to move one of the offending
> variables to __initdata.
> There is two variales to consider - the compiler only
> mention one of them.
>
> Trying to declare the variables const etc usually has
> no good effect.

So why would it be happening in the NFSroot case, but not in
do_mounts.c? They're both using the standard __setup() macro with a
constant string, and an __init function argument.

Futhermore, when grepping for '__initconst', it seems that the
combination with 'static const' is the norm rather than the exception.

Trond