Re: nfs: __setup_str_nfs_root_setup causes a section type conflict

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 17:52:46 EST

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 05:07:23PM -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 22:57 +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > $ make init/do_mounts.o
> > CHK include/linux/version.h
> > CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
> > SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-parisc
> > CALL scripts/checksyscalls.sh
> > CC init/do_mounts.o
> >
> > while:
> >
> > $ make fs/nfs/nfsroot.o
> > CHK include/linux/version.h
> > CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
> > SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-parisc
> > CALL scripts/checksyscalls.sh
> > CC fs/nfs/nfsroot.o
> > fs/nfs/nfsroot.c:403: error: __setup_str_nfs_root_setup causes a section type
> > conflict
>
> To me that looks like some kind of compiler bug.

unspecified behaviour is a better name for it.

We have two variables we have forced a section on.
One variable is marked RO by the compiler while the other is not.
This results in a section type conflict because all
symbols needs to have the same falgs.

We usually triggers this with powerpc builds (64 bit IIRC),
and now with parisc too.

The only way to fix it is to move one of the offending
variables to __initdata.
There is two variales to consider - the compiler only
mention one of them.

Trying to declare the variables const etc usually has
no good effect.

Sam