question for C preprocessor wizards

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Wed Jul 22 2009 - 14:51:24 EST

I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I've got a bunch of code that call a bunch of different wrapper
routines, with varying numbers of arguments. Depending on whether a
compile flag is set, I want to do some stuff before and after calling
the "real" routine. I can do this easily enough with a macro.

#if FLAG
#define func_wrapper(args...) \
do { \
dostuff(); \
func(args); \
do_more_stuff(); \
} while (0)
#else
#define func_wrapper(args...) func(args)
#endif

However, given that there are hundreds of functions, I'd like to
generate these macros with another macro, sort of like:

#if FLAG
#define WRAPPER(func) \
#define func # _wrapper(args...) \
do { \
dostuff(); \
func(args); \
do_more_stuff(); \
} while (0)
#else
#define WRAPPER(func) \
#define func ## _wrapper(args...) func(args)
#endif

Where I could then do

WRAPPER(func1)
WRAPPER(func2)
WRAPPER(func100)

However, the preprocessor complains about having that "#" in the macro
body where it isn't used for stringification.

Anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this? I had considered writing
an app to programmatically generate an include file as a precursor to
actually compiling the real app, but I was hoping there was a more
elegant solution.

Thanks,

Chris