Re: 2.6.29 regression: ATA bus errors on resume

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Thu Jun 25 2009 - 20:46:47 EST

Hello, Niel.

Niel Lambrechts wrote:
> I've recently switched my root partition from OpenSUSE 11.1 to Fedora 11
> and since then I've not again seen the issue. I'm still using vanilla
> 2.6.30 generated with the same .config and EXT4 as before, so I have no
> idea why I cannot reproduce the issue. I still use hibernate + sleep
> frequently, and I just checked - I have 5 days uptime with a mount count
> of 20 and the file-system is still clean.
>
> The one big difference is that my original partition was a EXT2 -> EXT3
> -> EXT4 upgrade job over a long period of time, and some of the EXT4
> parameters now used by Fedora 11 on the reformatted root partition are
> different from what I had then. Here is a summary of the differences in
> case it matters at all:
>
> Current settings:
> Default mount options: user_xattr acl
> Inodes per group: 8192
> Inode blocks per group: 512
> Flex block group size: 16
> Required extra isize: 28
> Desired extra isize: 28
> Default directory hash: half_md4
>
> Previous settings:
> Default mount options: (none)
> Inodes per group: 8176
> Inode blocks per group: 511
> Default directory hash: tea
>
> If I do notice any such errors again I'll apply the debug patch and let
> you know, but it does seem as if the upgrade made this issue disappear...

Eh... if my analysis is correct the bug will be dependent on some
non-deterministic things including timing and layout of blocks of the
file which the filesystem touchs during suspend/resume. I'm fairly
sure the problem is still there. Oh well, it seems I'll have to
construct a synthetic case to test it. Anyways, please let me know if
you encounter the problem again. I'll keep you in loop with further
patches.

Thanks.

--
tejun