Re: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS fw SD17

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Jun 03 2009 - 00:10:44 EST

Markus wrote:
Hello!

I have some Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB drives. They use the firmware SD17.
They time out at the flush write cache and sometimes on the identify command.
I know that sounds suspicious so I wrote to seagate but they told me my drives are ok. (Although I dont think so.)

This drive+fw is blacklisted in the kernel, but there is no firmware upgrade for these drives. (Only very few serial numbers are able to upgrade.)

Now I want to know after what period of the time the kernel timeouts at these commands!? And if this timeout can be increased (manually, small patch for the kernel) and the min/max/avg time could somehow be messured. Every timeout kicks the drives off the raid, so I disabled the write cache (hdparm -W0 /dev/sdx) but thats no solution, just a bad workaround.

I believe the timeout for commands like these is usually 30 seconds. Normally if it doesn't respond after that length of time, it never will. Even if it eventually did, I don't think you'd be happy with disk access delays of over 30 seconds..

Its a amd64 system with the 2.6.29.4 on an AM3 board with AMDs 790GX + SB750 Chipsets running in ahci mode.

Thanks for your time and support!

Markus

PS: Please CC me!