Re: [tip:timers/ntp] ntp: adjust SHIFT_PLL to improve NTPconvergence

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Jun 01 2009 - 20:21:12 EST

* Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John Stultz wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 01:22 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
>>> I might be missing something here - but Linux converging faster
>>> seems like a genuinely good thing. What non-Linux problem could
>>> there be? Linux's convergence is really Linux's private issue.
>>
>> Yea. It does seem that way. Miroslav can likely expand on the
>> issue to help clarify, but as I understand it, the example is if
>> you have a number of systems that are peers in an NTP network.
>> All of them are using the same userland NTP daemon. However, if
>> the rate of change that corrections are applied is different in
>> half of them, you will have problems getting all the systems to
>> converge together.
>
> Would this not be true already, because the convergence of Linux
> system suddenly became a lot slower in 2.6.19?
>
> Damned if we do, damned if we don't - except the new behaviour
> introduced by your patches is nicer.

Not just that - but there's calibration noise during bootup that can
cause randomly distributed recalibrations as well. So other hosts in
a mixed environment will see inconsistencies anyway, after every
bootup.

NTP is all about being able to be resilient against time noise and
being able to sync up to a common time base ASAP.

Ingo