Re: [tip:timers/ntp] ntp: adjust SHIFT_PLL to improve NTP convergence

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Mon Jun 01 2009 - 20:07:13 EST

John Stultz wrote:
On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 01:22 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

I might be missing something here - but Linux converging faster seems like a genuinely good thing. What non-Linux problem could there be? Linux's convergence is really Linux's private issue.

Yea. It does seem that way. Miroslav can likely expand on the issue to
help clarify, but as I understand it, the example is if you have a
number of systems that are peers in an NTP network. All of them are
using the same userland NTP daemon. However, if the rate of change that
corrections are applied is different in half of them, you will have
problems getting all the systems to converge together.

Would this not be true already, because the convergence
of Linux system suddenly became a lot slower in 2.6.19?

Damned if we do, damned if we don't - except the new
behaviour introduced by your patches is nicer.

--
All rights reversed.